The Connecticut State Police hiring process is extensive: the time from application to appointment can take several months. The application to hire process is separated into six stages:
1. Application Period: How to apply for the State Police Trooper Trainee Job Opening
Please ensure that your application is complete. You are unable to make revisions once you officially submit your application to the State of Connecticut. Applicant Support can be reached by email at DAS.SHRM@ct.gov.
Candidates who submit an untimely, incomplete or inaccurate application will not be considered for this employment opportunity. Due to the large volume of applications, please do not call/email to confirm receipt or status of your application. If your application submits successfully, a pop-up confirmation displays, which is followed by a confirmation email. You can view all emailed notices on your Personal Status Board by clicking the date in the Last Notice column for this recruitment. Applications to this recruitment may be used for future vacancies.
2. Referral Questions: These questions are designed to allow hiring managers to learn more about your abilities and skills related to the State Police Trooper Trainee position. The Referral Questionnaire notice is sent to your personal email address and is also viewable on your Online Employment Center Personal Status Board, in the Certification Questionnaires section. To continue on in the hiring process, you must respond to and officially submit the Referral Questionnaire by the deadline stated in the notice. Applicants are urged to sign on to their Personal Status Board on a daily basis to monitor their status and view all emailed notices, in the event an email provider places auto-notification emails in a user's spam.
Please do not call or email about status updates regarding referral questions. If you successfully submit your questionnaire on time, a confirmation page displays immediately following your submission. On your Personal Status Board, the submission date and time display in the Certification Questionnaires section.
Please provide the following information in your email:
First and last name (including any hyphenated last name, or those with suffixes such as Jr)
First three (3) letters of your last name at birth
Date of birth
Primary phone number
3. Physical Fitness Assessment: Candidates must complete and pass a Physical Fitness Assessment that measures muscular strength, cardiovascular endurance and flexibility. Valid CHIP cards will be accepted prior to the CT State Police Physical Agility Test, tentatively scheduled for mid to late March 2021. To register, please follow the instructions on the CHIP Test Schedule.
4. Polygraph Examination: Inquiries concerning employment history; driving history; medical history; financial history; gambling history; illegal possession, use and sale of drugs/narcotics; criminal activity; military history; illegal sexual activity; use of alcohol; general personal data; prior conduct in police/security/corrections fields; subversive, revolutionary or gang activity; basic honesty and integrity.
5. Background Investigation: Comprehensive review of employment, attendance, education, training, criminal, motor vehicle and credit history.
6. Psychological Evaluation: Combination of written tests and interviews to assess suitability for employment in law enforcement.
7. Medical Evaluation: Comprehensive physical examination, including drug screening.